Wednesday, May 26, 2010

School's Out for Summer!


Hahaha! School's out, but summer bootcamp starts!

Tyler was very insistent that this not be a lazy summer. I think he was more worried about me being lazy than the kids (me? lazy? nah).

So we sat down and talked about our expectations. The kids have to do chores and schoolwork (reading and worksheets) before they go out to play, watch tv, or computer. Now for most of you this is probably your normal summer, but for me, this is intense structure. It's gonna require follow through. And follow through has never been my strong point.

So our plan goes like this:
3o min. reading
grammar and math worksheets
chores--bedroom clean, help with laundry, cleaning other rooms in house, cleaning bathrooms, dishwasher, outside chores, getting dressed (the worst chore of all at my house) and whatever else I want to inflict upon them.

But the rewards will be great: a summer allowance and fun places to go!
Our weekly schedule will go something like this:

Monday--cleaning day/stay home
Tuesday--zoo
Wednesday--library
Thursday--laundry/cleaning and inviting a friend over
Friday--park

I'm also going to make breakfast and lunch menus, and have specific snack times. Hopefully knowing the expectations will cut down on the nagging and demanding.

So, wish me luck!
If anyone would like to join us in our outings, I'd love it!

And now I'll leave you with a sneak peak at the family room progress.

3 comments:

Elena said...

Structure is the ONLY way I get through summer. It all starts on Monday, kiddos.:)

Carrie said...

I was thinking just this morning how your blog makes me feel like such a slacker, you are lazy no more my friend. I think jobs save my summer, so wish I could join you all at the zoo, it's still my favorite children's zoo.

Nancy said...

I thought that was a snake on your mantle. I've got snake on the brain I guess since spying the 6 footer in our backyard. Love the dentil (sp) molding. Love the teaser.
Fantastic schedule. I really think it WILL cut down on nagging especially if you get them to agree to it ahead of time.